Contamination in Refillable Bulk Soap Dispensers
So, you are trying to improve the hygiene in your washrooms at work. You go online and find this soap dispenser that’s not too expensive, and it’s refillable with liquid soap. Sounds great, easy, you think, “I can buy this once and refill with soap, job done, right?”
The answer is no if your goal is to maintain people’s hand hygiene and cleanliness.
We advise you to reconsider your refillable soap option and instead choose a sachet soap dispenser after reading what we have to say below.
Studies have demonstrated that these top-up soap dispensers, often known as refillable soap dispensers, better known as ‘pink soap dispensers’, could pose a significant health risk due to the possible bacterial contamination of the hand soap.
What’s the reason for this?
These soap dispensers are mostly never cleaned on the inside!
Think about it.
How many people would consider:
- Removing the reservoir in a soap dispenser so that it could be cleansed?
- Is it possible for a bacterial biofilm to accumulate inside the soap dispenser?
- Is adding soap to the top constantly without cleaning the inside unhygienic?
According to a study conducted by L.A. Lorenz et al. in 2012, titled “Evaluation and remediation of bulk soap dispensers for biofilm,” refillable soap dispensers become contaminated with a bacterial biofilm over time. This is because the dispenser reservoir is open to the environment, allowing bacteria to enter and infect the soap. As a result, this bacterial biofilm forms on the inside of the dispenser.
This slimy layer is where bacteria thrive and start contaminating the soap. The study further found that cleaning provides temporary sanitisation, as contamination levels return to pre-test levels within 7-14 days after cleaning with bleach.
Another unsettling study, Bacterial Hand Contamination and Transfer after Use of Contaminated Bulk-Soap-Refillable Dispensers found that about one-quarter of public refillable bulk soap dispensers are contaminated with unsafe bacteria, leaving our hands 25 times more bacteria-laden than before washing.
To prevent bacterial contamination, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises against adding soap to a partially empty dispenser.
The research found that contaminated soap may contain several harmful pathogens, such as:
- Klebsiella pneumoniae: a type of bacteria that can cause pneumonia, bloodstream infections, meningitis, and urinary tract infections.
- Serratia marcescens: a harmful pathogen that can cause infections in the respiratory or urinary systems, along with endocarditis, septicaemia, wound infections, eye infections, and meningitis.
- Enterobacter species: a type of bacteria that causes various community-acquired infections, including urinary tract infections (UTI), respiratory infections, and endocarditis.
- Pseudomonas species: these bacteria can cause severe infections like meningitis, pneumonia, and septicaemia.
Good news: There is a safer option!
Sealed soap sachet dispensing systems:
Sachet soap dispensing systems offer a solution which evades bacterial build-up and guarantees a better and improved hygienic establishment.
In comparison to refillable soap dispensers, the soap sachet system has the following advantages:
- It’s placed inside the dispenser and sealed by the manufacturer.
- The soap is never exposed until direct contact with your hands. This reduces the possibility of bacterial infection.
- These technologies solve serious public health risks by preventing contamination from germs in the air or the fingertips of people restocking the dispensers.
By opting for sealed sachet soap dispensers, facilities prioritise public health and contribute to environmental conservation efforts.
With everything this world has gone through with COVID-19, we must choose the appropriate hand hygiene practices, that being the sealed sachet system dispensers.
Where can you get these Sealed Sachet System Dispensers?
At Nuwkem Hygiene, our sealed sachet soap dispensers are designed to keep your hands clean and always protected. The hygienic sealing of the refill ensures that the soap stays germ-free.
Check out our most popular sealed sachet system dispensers:
- Antimicrobial push bar
- Lifetime warranty
- Controlled dispensing
- Low maintenance
- Hygienically sealed sachet system
Refillable bulk soap dispensers pose a serious risk to public health due to bacterial contamination that can result in diseases from dangerous pathogens. On the other hand, methods for dispensing sealed soap sachets can provide a clean and worry-free alternative to protect you and the public from harmful pathogens.
If you’re looking for a reliable supplier of sealed soap sachets dispensing systems, Nuwkem is the perfect choice. Learn more about our range of soap dispensers and Nuwkem‘s other hygiene solutions today.